“How to rank a website on Google?” A question with no proper answer. Or perhaps your question is, “How to rank a new website on Google fast?” The second question builds hope; at least we agree it takes the time to rank a new website. Without mincing words, let’s check out the on page SEO factors that can help rank your website on the first page.
- Page URLs: Static URLs are always preferred compared to dynamic URLs. This is because dynamic URLs look ugly, and can be difficult to read and recall. Plus they may look suspicious to other people, which can prevent them from clicking on the links.
- Keyword selection: This is critical. A relevant keyword is key for getting the right users on your page. The information that you are conveying is tailor-made for a particular segment. You have to bring the right users, to your page, for whom this information is suitable.
To achieve this, select the appropriate keywords for the page. Right keyword selection will highlight your page to relevant audiences. Go for relevant keywords which relate to the information your page in conveying.Synonyms of a keyword can also be helpful. Refrain from those words that are great from the ranking point of view, but which have no connection with your page. This will also reduce bounce rate.
- Title tags: The most important factor of an on-page optimization is your title tags. You should reserve this place for the main keyword. It is advisable to use a keyword from the start of the title tag for better results.Heading tags, aka h1 tags, also deserve importance. Remember, every web page should have ONLY one h1 tag. The use varies depending on a website’s architecture. It is strongly recommended to use the same keyword or phrase, if possible, in the title and the h1 tag.
- Time: People hate to wait, make sure your website takes less time to load. “Page speed” is vital for better ranking and it also enhances the user experience. A page score of 80 to 90 is decent, try to get closer to 100.
- Internal links: Google loves internal links. It uses these links as a navigation system for collecting information and indexing it. These links also help in the navigation of the user visiting your site, place them strategically. Overuse of internal links can have a negative impact, don’t overdo this. The use of XML sitemaps is also a wise strategy.
- Content, the ultimate king: Unique content, crafted with perfection, satisfying the needs of the masses, gets all the love and sharing that it deserve. This leads to the generation of social signals, and also paves way for high-quality backlinks. It’s advisable to use the keyword in the first few lines, and in the body of your content to boost keyword density.
- Animation: Use of optimized graphics and animation are key engaging resources. It also helps in reducing bounce rate. They can make your webpage worth sharing on social media, and bring more visitors. Social media signals are more valuable than ever before. For images, use of alt tag containing your main keyword gives better results.
And as we are discussing graphics and animations, let’s check out the impact of this cool infographic from Shane Barker. It’s loaded with Google webmasters guidelines, best practices for on-page SEO, and much more.